Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Streeets of San Telmo, Buenos Aires

It has been about three weeks since my last blog. During the first week here in Buenos Aires I found myself partying along with everybody else. My arrival here from Iguazu was smooth and I had little trouble settling into the European style vibe in this great city. 

The main reason I wanted to come here now was to study and to practice some Spanish. After three weeks of classes I have certainly learnt a great deal but I still have a long way to go before I feel entirely at ease. It is not so much the speaking if one is initiating the conversation, it is the listening and understanding of others, especially in large and loud groups.

An advantage of going to the college is that it has allowed me to stay in a family’s home, along with about ten fellow language students. I realize that after two months it is the first time that I have actually stayed on my own in my own en-suite room, without having to deal with anyone else. Bliss!  And to top it all off it has a TV which receives ESPN and the Premier League games. Perfecto!

Going out here is fairly easy; the taxis are cheap, no real door policy at bars and clubs, and they stay open between 5-7 am all week.  I took the opportunity to play in a live jam session at one particular cool bar in the barrio of Palermo.  Whilst playing on stage, I felt at home in BA and with its whole music vibe. Musicians play everywhere here and it is great to hear them play and dance so well.

The challenges one has to face here include: keeping appointments on time as journeys tend to take longer than ever anticipated; avoiding the dog poo and general rubbish which pervades most streets; keeping cool in the 30deg plus heat; and eating well.

For all the talk of their beef I have been disappointed with the overall cuisine and variety on offer. The food on offer at the cheaper cafes and restaurants rarely stray from very average pizza to beef steak sandwiches that resemble a breeze block! At the more expensive restaurants it is possible to order fish and vegetables, however, the by far the best thing to do if possible is to cook at home if the kitchen is up to it.
Overall, Buenos Aires is a cool city in so many ways and probably unique in the Americas for being as modern as it is.  I have met some really cool people here who have come from the UK and are making it work for them here and it is encouraging and inspiring to know them.

My next stop is Rio again, this time for Carnival which I am really looking forward to. I have some idea of what to expect and it feels good to be returning to somewhere which I am already familiar. At least I know that eating well here is so much easier, especially at the per kilo restaurants. I can’t wait. Vamos! 

No comments:

Post a Comment