Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Sweet Sucre

After the lofty heights of Potosi, the city of Sucre is a very welcoming respite as it is about 2,000 metres less in altitude and quite different in attitude. It takes pride in calling itself the capital of the country despite the rest of the World recognizing La Paz as its premier city.  It feels like the most pleasant town for us gringos to rest up after either traversing the Salar or the partying in La Paz.

One of Sucre's pretty squares 

There are a few Dutch owned bars here which is perfect for hosting the celebrations for the Dutch Queen’s birthday, as well as any other reason for going out.  It is also one of the cheapest and easiest places to enroll in a school and to learn some Spanish. Me Gusta is the school that I have chosen to spend two weeks to learn.  I have also chosen to stay with a local family which is a great way to be in the language so much more than by staying in a hostel. I have so much respect for all those students who come to the UK to study and live.
Some of the boys working their Spanish at the homestay


 It is not until one attempts to seriously learn another language that one can appreciate just how difficult and rewarding it can be.  To be able to live in a country/continent for an extended time is priceless in my being able to ‘test-drive’ what I have been taught. I am beginning to relish the challenge of communicating in situations such as buying tickets, ordering food and buying stuff in shops. It does not always work out but as long as it does not cost me money or too much embarrassment then that is fine.
Another road block

Demonstrations continue to overshadow the genial atmosphere of Sucre. The doctors and transport workers are united in not allowing the government to increase their working hours for the same pay. I support their cause but it can be a real challenge to travel when there are daily road blocks.   Direct action appears to be the way of things here and I am told that it is generally successful.

I am sad to be leaving this town but I will take with me some lovely memories such as singing Karaoke in Spanish and feeling like I was part of a more natural style of living with the locals.

No comments:

Post a Comment