Monday, April 30, 2012

Sun, Sand, Salt & Surrealism

I had heard a lot about this area from my fellow traveler friends so I arrive here with great anticipation. I had also read that Dali had visited here and was inspired by it so much that it heavily influenced his work, so I was eager to see his art in this landscape.
The main reason this amazing landscape is shaped the way that it is because any rain which falls on the plateau does not drain away due to the non-porous rock base. Its evaporation in the hot and dry climate along with it interaction with all of the volcanic minerals creates lots and lots of salt.

The Salar de Uyuni is the largest salt flat in the World, and it, alongside the crazy rock formations, high altitude, blazing sun and miles of infinite flatness make for a mind bending experience. There also exist underground rivers which create steam when they are heated by volcanic larvae. This produces fields of active geysers that are just incredible to be in the midst of.

The opportunity to attend a good old rave up on the Salar (salt flat) is far too enticing to pass up on. To feel as if one is dancing on snow when it is in fact salt is a strange. The cold is too much to bear for me after 4am so I retreat to the hostel in the middle of nowhere that is constructed of blocks of salt as I witness all the craziness going on all around me. In the morning I can see a hot air balloon being filled up and I am told by a friend that I can return to Uyuni town on it.  This proves not to be the case as it transpires that it is only going up and down so as to offer superb sunrise views of the Salar. This is what can happen when there is a preposition translation issue when the balloon company is named after the town!

The party crew are all top people and I know that we will all be friends for a long time to come, so shout outs go to Zane, Lisa, Carl, Lisa and Santiago.

Now time for some civilization in Potosi. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment